The 2015 NFL Draft has finally arrived. Later on this evening, the Bucs will officially be “on the clock” and select Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston. Here are some rumblings you need to know on draft day Thursday.
- TheBayCave.com learned Wednesday afternoon that Bucs’ players were beginning to receive word of the selection of Winston. Thursday morning brought more confirmation to back up the original story as a separate team source confirmed what we were initially told, adding three more specific names with awareness of the selection — two of them being offensive players.
- NFL Media’s Judy Battista reported on NFL Network that general manager Jason Licht was lobbied by his players that the team should go out and draft Winston. Also, Sports Illustrated’s Peter King says Winston to the Bucs is a done deal.
- The Bucs are looking to trade back up into the first round as they target Pittsburgh tackle T.J. Clemmings per a source close to the team, confirming Peter King’s report. If a trade does not happen, depending on how their board looks and how they feel picks may go behind them, Utah’s pass rusher Nate Orchard remains in play in the second round.
- Tampa Bay will look to draft some depth for their secondary in Days 2 and 3. The team has interest in Memphis cornerback Bobby McCain and Louisville safety Gerod Holliman. TBC has reported that before and re-confirmed Thursday morning.
- The La’El Collins situation may look like an easy get for the Bucs if he falls into the second round, but don’t hold your breath. His last minute involvement with police for the murder of his pregnant ex-girlfriend does not bode well for his NFL future. A future that does not include the Bucs as I understand he is no longer on their boards. Belief is that pass rusher Randy Gregory is also off of the team’s draft board as well.
- Teams have started contacting potential undrafted free agents target including the Buccaneers, who contacted two former Winston teammates from Florida State.