The 2015 NFL Draft is just two days away and with the Bucs holding the No. 1 pick, news surrounding Tampa Bay is heating up. Here is what you need to know.
- All indications (still) are that the Bucs are drafting Florida State’s Jameis Winston. Don’t hold your breath on them announcing it ahead of the draft. That’s merely due to the fact that the NFL has made the draft a spectacle and have plans in place on how they will announce that the Bucs are officially on the clock. Yes, they are that serious.
- General manager Jason Licht says that “everything is for sale” regarding a potential trade for the first overall pick. A key quote to focus on though is that Licht adds teams are just “feeling out what it would take” in order to move up to No. 1. As Jordan Babineaux put it on NFL AM Tuesday morning, unless you are getting Aaron Rodgers, you don’t trade the pick.
- NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport is reporting teams are interested in trading up to No.2 with the Tennessee Titans for Oregon’s Marcus Mariota. Again, they want to trade up for Mariota. Teams know the route the Buccaneers are taking and they have known for a long time now.
- TheBayCave.com learned some time ago on how interested the team is in Utah’s edge rusher Nate Orchard. With the latest that has happened with Missouri’s Shane Ray and the expected fall of Nebraska’s Randy Gregory, many have wondered if either pass rusher would be options for Tampa Bay in the second round. The answer: No. Especially with Gregory, who scouts have uncovered an off-the-field past that dates back to eighth grade which includes drug use. TBC also learned that Gregory admitted to “using” multiple times a day.
- Keep an eye on Memphis cornerback Bobby McCain. TheBayCave.com learned Tampa Bay has lots of interest in McCain as well as still having strong interest in Louisville safety Gerod Holliman.
- I expect the Bucs to address the offensive line in the third round based on what I have been told. That obviously depends on how they have players positioned on their draft board of course. But since they are extremely high on Orchard, their second round pick goes in that direction.